Two Philosophies Of Marriage
I overheard a conversation between two men, both a few years older than me
One said he was 87, the other 83.
They were talking about marriage and I inched in closer, thinking it would be nice
If I eavesdropED just a little- I might get some good advice.
One was humble talking about marriage- the other cavalier
The latter was divorced 5 times the former's been married 66 years.
Into their marriage philosophies it was my good fortune then to peek.
As I sat back to listen in, the divorced man was the first to speak,
"I make the money, I'm the head of my house, " he said, I may not be Sir Galahad.
And if the ladies don't like those conditions, I'm sorry that's just too bad.
The married man listened carefully then gently nodded his head
"That's interesting but my wife and I- we have a different arrangement, " he said.
"We made it on our wedding day and for 66 years it's helped our household run.
We agreed I shall handle all the major problems and she the minor ones."
"Good man, " the divorced man nodded in agreement as a smile crossed his face
I believe in any good marriage a woman should know her place."
"Funny thing, that, " the married man said, "in our 66 year long duet
We've only experienced minor problems- not one major problem yet!
As the divorced man was left to ponder- I imagine he'd never understand.
The married man smiled, walked up to his wife and they walked away hand in hand.
Jim Yerman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Two Philosophies Of Marriage by Jim Yerman )
- The crumbling spider web, Kenneth Maswabi
- Heaven With a Pinch Of Saltf, hugh everard
- iPhone6+ 오피뷰 ⓐ분당오피녀 ⓑ시화오피 대란∠OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM∠, Sibngnu2 Sibngnu2
- L.Messi 오피뷰 분당오피 KTwiz 시화오피 OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM .., Sibngnu2 Sibngnu2
- Contemplations, Dr Amit Gokhale
- iPhone6+ 오피뷰 ⓐ부산오피녀 ⓑ시흥오피 대란∠OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM∠, Sibngnu2 Sibngnu2
- L.Messi 오피뷰 부산오피 KTwiz 시흥오피 OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM .., Sibngnu2 Sibngnu2
- iPhone6+ 오피뷰 ⓐ동묘오피녀 ⓑ대전오피 대란∠OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM∠, Sibngnu2 Sibngnu2
- L.Messi 오피뷰 동묘오피 KTwiz 대전오피 OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM .., Sibngnu2 Sibngnu2
- Needing Love, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- Heartache /3, Sabrina Chambers
- A Thing of Beauty (Endymion), John Keats
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)