Island where all becomes clear.
Solid ground beneath your feet.
The only roads are those that offer access.
Bushes bend beneath the weight of proofs.
The Tree of Valid Supposition grows here
with branches disentangled since time immermorial.
The Tree of Understanding, dazzling staight and simple.
sprouts by the spring called Now I Get It.
The thicker the woods, the vaster the vista:
the Valley of Obviously.
If any doubts arise, the wind dispels them instantly.
Echoes stir unsummoned
and eagerly explain all the secrets of the worlds.
On the right a cave where Meaning lies.
On the left the Lake of Deep Conviction.
Truth breaks from the bottom and bobs to the surface.
Unshakable Confidence towers over the valley.
Its peak offers an excellent view of the Essence of Things.
For all its charms, the island is uninhabited,
and the faint footprints scattered on its beaches
turn without exception to the sea.
As if all you can do here is leave
and plunge, never to return, into the depths.
Into unfathomable life.
Wislawa Szymborska's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Utopia by Wislawa Szymborska )
- Child Inside, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- G.M. Soldier (still fighting that war wi.., michael walkerjohn
- Imagination, Phil Soar
- Halloween tonight, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The Wall @ penn-mar 91732, michael walkerjohn
- Life's Canon, michael walkerjohn
- Platypus, Phil Soar
- Grass, sallam yassin
- For Whatever its Worth, michael walkerjohn
- This Is Me, Edward Kofi Louis
Poem of the Day
- luggage canada, rwetewrt erwtwer
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Thing of Beauty (Endymion), John Keats
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(24 October 1923 – 20 December 1997)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)