Volunteer To Be Happy
Sad things happen. Of this there's no doubt.
But that's not what this thought's all about.
When something goes wrong, most volunteer
To fall down and stop or stand up and cheer.
It's easy to fall when goblins are grand,
But there's something I don't understand.
And that's why some volunteer to be sad
For what could have been, since all is so bad.
Suns keep rising and there're always more springs,
So volunteer to be happy for these wondrous things.
Take off those shades and try a new style.
It's hard to feel bad when sporting a smile.
Why volunteer sadness when costs are so high?
It's like choosing death before having to die.
I guess only the lonely really know why.
Gregory Huyette's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Volunteer To Be Happy by Gregory Huyette )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- 'My Christmas Prayer' (For all who have .., Linda Winchell
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Ring Out , Wild Bells, Alfred Lord Tennyson
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Sri Ramakrishna (1836 - 1886), Tushar Ray
- Love Is, Kristen Brown
- Poetry in Motion, Shahrokh Sharifrazy
- Nothing I Fear, Kristen Brown
- Tantalizing, Kristen Brown
- Your Heart Be At Ease (Rewrite), Kristen Brown
- Rosewater (Rewrite), Kristen Brown
- Passion (Rewrite), Kristen Brown
- My Note To Santa...Please Write A Letter.., Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- HIM, michael walkerjohn