What I Hold Dear
Perfectly trained to be a lady,
With all the philosophies past down from my grandmother to me through my mother.
The belief that a lady must be seen and not heard,
Walk with her chin parallel to the ground and her back erect.
It is unthinkable for a lady not to be able to walk in stilettos.
I am sorry, ladies don't walk, we step.
Well, at lest that's what I have been told
And make sure your knees don't bend.
More than the superficial ideologies of what stature fits a lady perfectly,
I was thought to finish what I start.
Though I did not always live up to her expectations of continuity,
I followed the principle of determination.
She never told me because it was never a subject frequently spoken on
But she showed me how a lady loves.
I have learned how to love myself and have high self esteem,
I am proud of who I am
But in reality what I hold dear is my mommy.
She thought me to be me.
APPHIA GARCIA's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (What I Hold Dear by APPHIA GARCIA )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1878 - 3 May 1916)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Samuel Taylor Coleridge
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1924 - 2000)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- Destroyer and Preserver, hafiz qasim
- My Time, Kyle Schlicher
- TEACHER, Shachi Kaul
- Jackals cleverness., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Gibberish, hafiz qasim
- Child Of Mine, Kyle Schlicher
- My Heart Is Heavy, Kyle Schlicher
- Beautiful Dusk, Shachi Kaul
- New year, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- I Am Ready, Kyle Schlicher