What I Hold Dear
Perfectly trained to be a lady,
With all the philosophies past down from my grandmother to me through my mother.
The belief that a lady must be seen and not heard,
Walk with her chin parallel to the ground and her back erect.
It is unthinkable for a lady not to be able to walk in stilettos.
I am sorry, ladies don't walk, we step.
Well, at lest that's what I have been told
And make sure your knees don't bend.
More than the superficial ideologies of what stature fits a lady perfectly,
I was thought to finish what I start.
Though I did not always live up to her expectations of continuity,
I followed the principle of determination.
She never told me because it was never a subject frequently spoken on
But she showed me how a lady loves.
I have learned how to love myself and have high self esteem,
I am proud of who I am
But in reality what I hold dear is my mommy.
She thought me to be me.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (What I Hold Dear by APPHIA GARCIA )
- Why Must There Be Dragonflies?, Stephen Warren Williams
- Enough is Enough!, Shaila Touchton
- For Boy George (The First Time I Saw You), Dave Alan Walker
- Acceptance, Barbara Dixion
- The Pendulum of Life, bryan wallace
- Sentiments Of Love, Louis Borgo
- Forever Free, courtney metcalf
- Rage Against the Machine, Amber Hardisty
- Out, Barbara Dixion
- Raindrop Ambitions, Ailill Ailill
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(1644 - 1694)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1927)