Is It Poetry
'Why, The Caged Bird Sings
I know now what freedom is like.
The fresh perfumed breeze I am caught.
To see the red planet so far,
when venus her mon's bright the star.
To see our blue planet from high.
looking down makes me cry.
The eagles broad wings, finger tips.
Tell me why if you can,
every why the caged bird sings.
Once like a slave I once was,
wearing chains not from love no suprise.
Even then driving by,
looking at them and why the caged bird it sings.
Year upon year slowly went by,
in a cell where young men had died.
I raised a sparrow there.
I was sad when it learned to fly.
One feather I kept as I saw it fly high.
Sobbing in silence I wept.
I could not teach even it about life.
Could it fend for it's self or die.
In death I would sleep every night.
And in dreams the monks came to me.
Confession or not,
why the caged bird it sings to be freed.
From this world and it's cold design.
Is It Poetry's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem ('Why, The Caged Bird Sings by Is It Poetry )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Dante Gabriel Rossetti
(12 May 1828 – 9 April 1882)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
(3rd April 19sixty)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- Expression Eruption: Confidence, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- An Indian English Ph.D. Thesis On Modern.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- the half truth, Dr Puneet Aggarwal
- Argumentative ones, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Love children, gajanan mishra
- 25 December 2014, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- Wipe out terrorism, gajanan mishra
- The hilarious children., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Let us discuss poems, gajanan mishra
- Eyes Tell a Story, Rohit Sapra