Words that by the wayside fell
Was a term when I was a lad
It meant to be honest or
An exclamation or incredulity.
I, realizing it dated me in my early
Adulthood, ditched it.
Was a mate of Deadset and often
An accompanying exasperation or
request for confirmation in astonishment,
but departed around the same time.
It's bad luck to be superstitious!
Was a phrase whose stead
I kept good company in my forties
Until my kids and those of friends
Made me realise my cynicism against
Untested home spun truths was cliche.
'Dog' as suffix
Carried me to my fifties
'Facedog', 'chipdogs' and 'fishdogs'
interchangeable with 'chickencats'
As non-descript pre-dementia
Couldn't care less welcome to aged
The world is full of generic merging
Into nothingness consumable stuff
Over which no care could be made
save to encompass all things bleakly.
How's ya belly where the pig bit ya?
A phrase old Cob Foy, my Grandads' mate
Greated us with as kids accompanied
by a gentle pinch of the belly
Obscure and bizarre, confronting, harmless,
Implicit child molestation in brave modernity.
A word I have retained throughout
Entertained me in my drunken youth
By bands in pubs and different jobs
Friends moving house or parties
Applied to shows and plays in time
In opera houses and theatres too
I do not abandon a hungry desire for
Grey matter teasing distractions
Nor welcome some distant fate
As a discarded tired phrase.
Danny Draper 26/9/2013
Danny Draper's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Words that by the wayside fell by Danny Draper )
- In Living Memory (11-22-63), John F. McCullagh
- Music, Fatima Nusairat
- what swanky sap is this?, Mandolyn ...
- Natural, David Chap Bottoms
- I end poem, hasmukh amathalal
- here's my armadillo, now get me a pillow.., Mandolyn ...
- A, Vera Sidhwa
- With her ability, hasmukh amathalal
- Inhuman way, hasmukh amathalal
- THERE IS…, michael walkerjohn
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Farewell Love and All Thy Laws Forever, Sir Thomas Wyatt
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)