Words that by the wayside fell
Was a term when I was a lad
It meant to be honest or
An exclamation or incredulity.
I, realizing it dated me in my early
Adulthood, ditched it.
Was a mate of Deadset and often
An accompanying exasperation or
request for confirmation in astonishment,
but departed around the same time.
It's bad luck to be superstitious!
Was a phrase whose stead
I kept good company in my forties
Until my kids and those of friends
Made me realise my cynicism against
Untested home spun truths was cliche.
'Dog' as suffix
Carried me to my fifties
'Facedog', 'chipdogs' and 'fishdogs'
interchangeable with 'chickencats'
As non-descript pre-dementia
Couldn't care less welcome to aged
The world is full of generic merging
Into nothingness consumable stuff
Over which no care could be made
save to encompass all things bleakly.
How's ya belly where the pig bit ya?
A phrase old Cob Foy, my Grandads' mate
Greated us with as kids accompanied
by a gentle pinch of the belly
Obscure and bizarre, confronting, harmless,
Implicit child molestation in brave modernity.
A word I have retained throughout
Entertained me in my drunken youth
By bands in pubs and different jobs
Friends moving house or parties
Applied to shows and plays in time
In opera houses and theatres too
I do not abandon a hungry desire for
Grey matter teasing distractions
Nor welcome some distant fate
As a discarded tired phrase.
Danny Draper 26/9/2013
Danny Draper's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Words that by the wayside fell by Danny Draper )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Lament (O how all things are far removed), Rainer Maria Rilke
Poem of the Day
- The Girl and her Dragon, Kevin Maroney
- What is Life, Andrea Cortesi
- UFC 183: Watch Anderson Silva vs Nick Di.., Renz Barns
- The Dark Side, Sandra Feldman
- Chasing Constellations, Russell Nero
- Aroma, Muhammad Farhan Ahmed
- Illusion, Noah Body
- Leprae, Brave Hearts
- In the Green are Emotions, Rohit Sapra
- Heart Beat Outpaced xx xxx xx Impro.., Lee Mack