Yeah, Baby, Yeah!
Life serves as a reminder that when I love you,
it doesn't mean that you love me...
and despite what seemed like a good start,
a bad ending is sometimes just around the corner.
That's the risk we take, it's difficult to avoid it,
loves offers all, demands all in return,
a fair exchange being all of me given to you,
all of you in return and together, the totality of us,
united, happy ever after from then on...
And how annoying, how rude, to become
a cast-off, a distant memory, so near and yet so far,
so damned close to what might have been...
To be dismissed from what was once a devoted mind,
cast out from the human heart like yesterday's dreams,
then to learn they are with someone new not you...
But if we find someone new...
how quickly we forget the ex,
bolt the doors on memories once cherished,
move on to the thrills of romance still to be...
So it is that our emotional baggage becomes lighter,
hey, cheer up, 'cos it's a new world with new dreams
and life's for living once again, yeah, baby, yeah!
Denis Martindale, copyright, November 2013.
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Yeah, Baby, Yeah! by Denis Martindale )
- Forever Purpurating Lavender, Stephen Warren Williams
- No Reason To Rush, Kewayne Wadley
- For To Be An Indian English Poet, An Eng.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- A Bag of Old Photographs, Mikey Bachman
- Surrealistic Bagging, michael walkerjohn
- What at a Sunrise Ends, michael walkerjohn
- Les Collaborations de Vie, michael walkerjohn
- Only movement, hasmukh amathalal
- Thoughtful Succour, michael walkerjohn
- Wrapped In Silk, michael walkerjohn
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- An Enigma, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- A Character, William Wordsworth
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)