Yeah, Baby, Yeah!
Life serves as a reminder that when I love you,
it doesn't mean that you love me...
and despite what seemed like a good start,
a bad ending is sometimes just around the corner.
That's the risk we take, it's difficult to avoid it,
loves offers all, demands all in return,
a fair exchange being all of me given to you,
all of you in return and together, the totality of us,
united, happy ever after from then on...
And how annoying, how rude, to become
a cast-off, a distant memory, so near and yet so far,
so damned close to what might have been...
To be dismissed from what was once a devoted mind,
cast out from the human heart like yesterday's dreams,
then to learn they are with someone new not you...
But if we find someone new...
how quickly we forget the ex,
bolt the doors on memories once cherished,
move on to the thrills of romance still to be...
So it is that our emotional baggage becomes lighter,
hey, cheer up, 'cos it's a new world with new dreams
and life's for living once again, yeah, baby, yeah!
Denis Martindale, copyright, November 2013.
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Yeah, Baby, Yeah! by Denis Martindale )
- With dignity, hasmukh amathalal
- Aurat, Bano Ali
- Change The Inevitable, Tony Adah
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.57, Mr. Nobody
- Long before my birth (cavatina), Gert Strydom
- Let Me Be Her<3, Nautica Moxley
- Absalom, Gert Strydom
- Freedom Is Calling, Tony Adah
- God and Guru, gajanan mishra
- Left Naked And Exposed, Lawrence S. Pertillar
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Autumn Song, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(18 November 1939)