001 - A Non-Poem On Adages
Most of the old adages that
We fools are fond of repeating
Are a bunch of hooey.
"You can't buy happiness."
Well, you just give me a big pile of money
And I'll show you some happiness.
I'm going to write a book entitled
"How to be happy though rich"
"The best things in life are free"
What a bunch of hoss pucky.
Sorrow is what is free
It will find you, rich or poor, but especially
When you're cold stony.
And here's a good one:
"The meek shall inherit the earth"
Baloney, when the nuclear war is over
The only thing left alive will be
Cockroaches and ants
And we'll have to evolve all over again.
"Turn the other cheek"
Well now, that's a good way
To get slapped silly.
I don't believe in an eye for an eye
But don't be stupid and just stand there
At least make tracks.
"Love your enemy"
Impossible, look it up.
The very definition of ‘enemy' is
"One who hates another and
Wishes or tries to harm him."
If you love him, he's not your enemy.
Oh well, you get the idea.
So many of the "truths of life"
Are just so much B.S.
George Hunter's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (001 - A Non-Poem On Adages by George Hunter )
- clear as mud, Mandolyn ...
- Burma war, lee fones
- Nexus in open, hasmukh amathalal
- There are veins of gold embedded, Little Eagle McGowan
- Yours Desire for High Sky, Aftab Alam
- Oh, The Cautious Heart, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Torrential Downpour, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- bo-tox, lee fones
- Music The Heart's Harp Sings, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Opposite Worlds, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Unity is Strength, S.D. TIWARI
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1927)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)