A Promise to eradicate illiteracy
A Promise to eradicate
The dark veil of flowing illiteracy,
As a canopy on our growing democracy;
Covers many crores of our great lot,
Under which teeming with ignorance, rot.
Unaware of the goings on around,
Stark illiteracy with poverty bound;
The window of the wide world is shut,
And the kaleidoscopic view of the panorama is cut.
The spiritual and intellectual devolpment,
Not sparked off by literary involvement,
Is a curse on the person and the nation,
As multitudes live like animals sans education.
Seized of the problem, in many a country,
UNESCO launched a war on illiteracy;
Allocating funds, the malady to cure,
With India taking the cudgel, very sure.
To kindle the dawn of consciousness,
Of the need of literacy's importance;
A programme of National Adult Education,
Is on the anvil with much ovation.
Of all the state birds flying in thirst,
Kerala's bird has landed first;
With Ernakulam carrying the flag high,
Inducing others their flight to stage by!
Let us scouts now make out a promise,
A multi-pronged attack without a miss-
To launch on 'illiteracy'-the monster dreadful,
With a spirit of commitment and hearts so full.
chandra thiagarajan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Promise to eradicate illiteracy by chandra thiagarajan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Federico García Lorca
(5 June 1898 – 19 August 1936)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Bleeding, May Swenson
- Men, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- The Bells, Edgar Allan Poe
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
Poem of the Day
- A Shameless Thief, Chris Zachariou
- Our Last Meeting, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- A Lie, Leong Ming Loong
- Should I forget?, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- thoughts of you, Dorsey Baker
- Our call, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- Khoon Aloodah, Akhtar Jawad
- Emptiness, Dorsey Baker
- Meditation, Aftab Alam
- Not an infant any more, Soumita Sarkar Ray