A Set Of Verses
Riding my streamlined horse of a ship
That turquoise perfumes waft away,
I sail towards the yoke of dawn
And towards the light of day.
I sail towards the half-full moon
And towards the carpeted sky.
Only to fall on the brazen land
And bid my dreams 'goodbye.'
Dragons of twilight, grasp your soul,
Poison your envy and engulf you whole.
The evils of life no longer decay
The flightiness of wreck carries you away
Without eyes, burning eyes craving dawn and day.
Nails, nails wedged in my flesh
Don't carve me in the wall.
Your foolish desires don't strain me
Against courage, fear will fall.
Led into my realm of dreams,
I beheld a starry, tranquil vision.
What brought me down in the end,
Was not my fiery ambition.
It was the unlettered people,
For when I climbed my steeple,
Envy dragged me down.
Hands leave hands in ravaging search
For coins buried beneath layers of earth.
But layer upon layer, not a glimmer found,
And hands once held too are gone.
Mariam Taufeeq's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Set Of Verses by Mariam Taufeeq )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Inclusiveness of Religions-A Ramzan Thou.., Nasarudheen.P. Parameswaran
- Nicely salty..., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Born Country, Maverick Jones
- Jhoom Jhoom Aa Gaya Basant, Upendra Singh
- NO MORE, Colin Ian Jeffery
- Dil Mera Wo Le Gaya, Upendra Singh
- Foolish Pride, Barry Jablonski
- SUPERMOONS, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Behind mount sinai | Write Out Loud, oskar hansen
- Internet, Margaret Moran