A Soldier Went To Heaven
A soldier went to Heaven
And stood at the Pearly Gates
And asked himself out loudly
'Is this a joke or my fait? '
When St. Peter spoke to him
And said 'Son this is no mistake! '
'You was blown up by a land mine! '
'So welcome to heaven'and offered his hand to shake
'Do you remember the little girl? '
'That you so boldly jumped to save? '
'Well, she was just your bait! '
'And now your body lays in a grave! '
'Oh don't get me wrong! '
'The girl survived just fine'
'Someone put her in that spot '
'Just so you would trip on that mine! '
'Now as far as your family'
'Your wife is pregnant with your son! '
'Your mom and dad are both ill'
'While your brother is out having fun! '
'Do you remember your sweetheart? '
'The one, when you was back in school? '
'Well she also had your son! '
'Now don't you feel just like a fool? '
'Now your buddies in your troop'
'They got the guy who set that mine'
'He fought until he was shot to pieces'
'Aint it ironic, how things work out so fine? '
'You have a few buddies already here'
'Who also died by trial and error'
'But all by the same token'
'You all died, trying to end the world of terror'
'So come on through these pearly gates'
'You might say we've been expecting you! '
'Did you know you are one of the bravest? '
'And let me tell you that is getting very few! '
'So come on in son, make yourself at home'
'This is more than you could ever dream of! '
'But the most important thing to remember? '
'This whole place is based on love! '
wrote 3/10/2008 by Norman Hale Jr.
norman hale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Soldier Went To Heaven by norman hale )
- The Phonecall Generation, Aidan Cost
- Sleepless Nights, Mimi Ahmed
- Truth is opening, gajanan mishra
- I Am Afraid, Amitava Sur
- How then?, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- Cholesterol, Dr PJ Raj Kamal
- A Confession, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- My Dog Lays at My Feet, David McLansky
- Asthi-Kalasha, Bijay Kant Dubey
- And We Came to Pass, Abdulrasaq Akingbo Okanlambe
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)