A Soldier Went To Heaven
A soldier went to Heaven
And stood at the Pearly Gates
And asked himself out loudly
'Is this a joke or my fait? '
When St. Peter spoke to him
And said 'Son this is no mistake! '
'You was blown up by a land mine! '
'So welcome to heaven'and offered his hand to shake
'Do you remember the little girl? '
'That you so boldly jumped to save? '
'Well, she was just your bait! '
'And now your body lays in a grave! '
'Oh don't get me wrong! '
'The girl survived just fine'
'Someone put her in that spot '
'Just so you would trip on that mine! '
'Now as far as your family'
'Your wife is pregnant with your son! '
'Your mom and dad are both ill'
'While your brother is out having fun! '
'Do you remember your sweetheart? '
'The one, when you was back in school? '
'Well she also had your son! '
'Now don't you feel just like a fool? '
'Now your buddies in your troop'
'They got the guy who set that mine'
'He fought until he was shot to pieces'
'Aint it ironic, how things work out so fine? '
'You have a few buddies already here'
'Who also died by trial and error'
'But all by the same token'
'You all died, trying to end the world of terror'
'So come on through these pearly gates'
'You might say we've been expecting you! '
'Did you know you are one of the bravest? '
'And let me tell you that is getting very few! '
'So come on in son, make yourself at home'
'This is more than you could ever dream of! '
'But the most important thing to remember? '
'This whole place is based on love! '
wrote 3/10/2008 by Norman Hale Jr.
norman hale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Soldier Went To Heaven by norman hale )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Federico García Lorca
(5 June 1898 – 19 August 1936)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- The Heart Foretells, Patti Masterman
- Louisiana Weather (Short), Nika McGuin
- Darling Dare, katusiime jeresi
- That And This, Indira Renganathan
- Florette's Woods, Nika McGuin
- Merger, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Naat-Zaufishan Nabi Hayn, Akhtar Jawad
- Extension, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Of the old church, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Who will sit when bound to lose?, Emmanuel George Cefai