A Wedding At My Funeral
The time has not come before
And this is new.
The light is opening for the day
An ingénue displaying her bosom
To man’s face-
I remember when
I was young in following her.
Her tassels feeling through the trees
And drinking roots,
She laughed even while
She rode her bicycle across campus.
I staid up all night and prayed for her.
When tired, she slept
In the shade of a house-
Eyes half closed. I came to her,
She yawned and turned me away.
She said she loved me
Only when she was drunk,
And it was yet that time-
So long ago, yesterday....
Then early this morning she came to me
And offered me the quaff
Dripping nectar on the limbs,
She said, “Never before now, old man, ”
As they lowered me in the grave,
Her light budded
A valleyide of rubrum,
A wedding at my funeral.
Robert Rorabeck's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Wedding At My Funeral by Robert Rorabeck )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
Edgar Albert Guest
(20 August 1881 - 5 August 1959)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Textology - 4. Statements, Joseph Archer
- Nobody, maryline vautravers
- Textology - 3. Mistakes, Joseph Archer
- Your smile, Leong Ming Loong
- everything is ok, Cee Bea
- मेरी तनहाइयां..............., sanjay kumar maurya
- Curses Of Much, Naveed Akram
- Colors of Our Love, Saliah Jabbar
- witness, Cee Bea
- It Was Delightfully Cold, Naveed Akram