A Wedding At My Funeral
The time has not come before
And this is new.
The light is opening for the day
An ingénue displaying her bosom
To man’s face-
I remember when
I was young in following her.
Her tassels feeling through the trees
And drinking roots,
She laughed even while
She rode her bicycle across campus.
I staid up all night and prayed for her.
When tired, she slept
In the shade of a house-
Eyes half closed. I came to her,
She yawned and turned me away.
She said she loved me
Only when she was drunk,
And it was yet that time-
So long ago, yesterday....
Then early this morning she came to me
And offered me the quaff
Dripping nectar on the limbs,
She said, “Never before now, old man, ”
As they lowered me in the grave,
Her light budded
A valleyide of rubrum,
A wedding at my funeral.
Robert Rorabeck's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Wedding At My Funeral by Robert Rorabeck )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Life, Vaishnavi Singh
- God, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Apatnaput-apat (44), herbert guitang
- Schoon Poepske, Madrason writer
- Your Heart To Mine, Michael P. McParland
- Motivation, Kim Lee
- A life without pain, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- BLUE, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- Mental Torment, Kim Lee
- Волшебная прогулка по лесу., Alexander Smetanin