Atsiylah Atty Garfinkel
A Well Meaning Friend was here today
A well meaning friend was here today,
'It's time to put your grief away
There are times when we are all sad,
but life's okay unless you make it bad.
Go work out and join a gym,
meet new guys and you'll get over him.'
But to my friend I could only say,
I'm sorry but it doesn't work that way.
Perhaps because she hears her clock,
she must move quickly with a tick- tock.
She did say a truth when she was here today.
Sometimes we all get blue in our own way.
How is it, someone who I can't make hear me
can at times say things just a clear as can be?
Our souls and our wounds take time to heal,
if I need more time does that make it unreal?
If in my despair I've given up on life,
how can one say for my ache that's not right?
Who else has walked these miles in my shoes?
Who else has lost so much to pay their dues?
Don't tell me grief is just an excuse for me,
until you've lived my life and know how to be.
I fought everyday for decades of this life,
if now I'm tired, don't I have the right?
There are priorities that aren't mine anymore,
and I'm sorry if I've become a chore.
This life isn't what I'd hoped for,
but this is it, nothing less or more.
Atsiylah Atty Garfinkel's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Well Meaning Friend was here today by Atsiylah Atty Garfinkel )
- Wipes off obloquy, gajanan mishra
- Beloved of Bronze Skin, Donald R Charon
- a dead sea scroll unrolled, Mandolyn ...
- I am Thy Woman O my Protector, Aftab Alam
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #12, Ronjoy Brahma
- Wandering With Affliction, Donald R Charon
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #11, Ronjoy Brahma
- Thoughtful Interlude, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Another Look At Easter, Denis Martindale
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #10, Ronjoy Brahma
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)