Abstractions Of A Temple
It seemed like a sin is watching,
from the camouflaged trenches.
As she hid her scars with vermillion
And draped her past in a raiment of promise
She fetched water
In a container kept aside for her God.
In a gesture of opening a small window,
removing black curtains,
she welcomed light, a ray or two and
darkness pulsed down,
along with them a little of her grief.
In a large city, of tall dreams and restless lanes
she looked like a conjuror
who can create divine silence
and carefully shelter her trick.
She cleaned the floor, harboured her cares
and sat and bowed
In front stood an idol
that she believed to be her lord.
He stood there, as if too many consonants merged too few vowels
He was unwilling to speak or he lacked a voice?
Or merely his words were twisted?
In her imagination a devotional song
In his silence a lifeless smile
And I stood by and watched
It seemed like inside the abstractions of a temple
A sin is watching
the worship of a devotee put on the cross
waiting resurrection and a rescue.
Aman Saa's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Abstractions Of A Temple by Aman Saa )
- Beautiful valleys, David Boyce
- Dust Devils, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Threat To My Love, Claude Simpson
- Core Of Mistrust, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Motive Is The Focus, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- macarana, Cee Bea
- Gathering Poetry, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Casting Out My Worries To You, Monterio Hill
- The Initiation, Echezonachukwu Nduka
- Circular Cycle, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(1886 - 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)