Emmanuel George Cefai (12th March 1955 / Victoria, Gozo)
Across The Stairs
Across the stairs
That to and fro
Dangle across the skies:
A hundred angels flew
And the earth – our earth turned.
Across the stairs of heaven
A hundred angels held
Trumpets in their hand
To herald the coming of the soul
And it came.
White-clad and robed and sandaled
In fine proportions glistening
One after another up the stairs it went.
The angels saw and liked.
Amazed the angel Gabriel
Saith ‘Lo on earth
There are fair creatures too my friends’.
And he rued his sexless state.
Poet Other Poems
- ‘Fifty Days And More
- ‘the night is near, going these ways
- ‘Tis given us to roam the earth
- ‘Tis Hopeless Now I Know
- ‘What Did You Eat To-Day? ’
- ‘You are slow losing your teeth, ’ I sai...
- A Baffling Cloud Rode Over
- A Barge Mysterious In The Thick Of Night
- A Broken Heart
- A call from a cicada
- A Cemetery Of Desires
- A cherished song this night
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.