Amethyst Stalactites (How to Fail Like A Pro)
Vacant eyes, naked skies, where did I go wrong?
I bled for no reason at all.
All the times I stumbled, bumbled, never learned to try.
I learned how to fail like a pro,
How to be strong in the cold,
All the while I shivered inside but never learned how to die.
The sun melts in shadows, the clouds seep their rain,
I’m lost inside myself,
I’ve shed a trail of self-confidence
That stains my conscious conscience red.
Every atom of me has been used,
Half of them are broken gears.
My machinery is functional but the foreman disappeared.
Teeth like stalactites, amethyst tongues,
I live in a fortress of books.
I grit my stalactites ‘til they crack as snowflakes on my gums
And smile jagged at the world,
And grin with hunger at my love
And grimace, broken, turned away,
Too scared to even run.
I am one with my colleagues but not one with myself,
I can only see eye-to-eye when on a pedestal,
But am I looking down or up?
I’ve learned to be careful when I pray for luck,
No one ever tells me if will be good or bad.
I am no one to my colleagues, a stain on their sight
(at least I would be if they saw me) .
But they are me and I am they,
I wish I could be proud to say, but the truth is: I’m ashamed.
Naked eyes, vacant skies, the circle now shuts tight.
Nothing has changed, I am the same,
But many people have cried (and more than that became alive) ,
swallowed by the earth as it yawned.
The body of death will now tend the farm.
Jesse Ellsbury's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Amethyst Stalactites (How to Fail Like A Pro) by Jesse Ellsbury )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
RoseAnn V. Shawiak
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Don't Go Far Off, Pablo Neruda
- Three Wise Men, Bill Simmons
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Drink, Smoke, Pray & Pop Pills., Tom Zart
- His Birthday, Neela Nath
- Last Night, Swrji Basumatary
- A proposal to wake up, none .....
- Dreams are All That Remain, Rohit Sapra
- Flowers By The Roadside, Maurice Rowlands
- You are born to be a poet, ramesh rai
- Beautiful flower, gajanan mishra
- A Fool, crystal ruth
- The Game, douglas scotney