After a Stint on the Rack
Why does quicksand exist?
Why does the lightning strike like a wildcat
growling from the midst?
Is it just to knock us down
and laugh when we can’t rise?
Is it to have so many truths
and still just utter lies?
Or is there something glamorous
in continuing to smile
even though your reasons to do so
now all taste like bile?
I maintain that those forced to strain
against more-than-impossible odds
are the ones who can drag the world
when it weighs so much more than a ton.
We all know that, when forced to grow,
we feel agony the lengths of our back,
but the truth is that one comes out taller
after a stint on the rack.
I maintain that, even when slain,
we’re remembered more fondly than those
who made the world a far worse place
by being bitter or acting morose.
Jesse Ellsbury's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (After a Stint on the Rack by Jesse Ellsbury )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(31 March 1934 – 31 May 2009)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Character, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Don't Go Far Off, Pablo Neruda
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- The Heavy Thumb, Gouda Moon
- hope of hopes, Thampi KEE
- गोरबो इसिँनिफ्राइ -99, Ronjoy Brahma
- But It's Over, Tex T Sarnie
- The Opposing Thumb, Gouda Moon
- जोनोमगिरि आय, Ronjoy Brahma
- When your Birthday Falls on Christmas..., Dr John Celes
- Me, Myself, Tex T Sarnie
- For to Be A Poetess, I Left My Husband, .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- बैसागु, Ronjoy Brahma