An Accident of Birth
1840: Claude Monet, whiskered creator of canvases of water-lilies so vast
you have to stand across the room to see what they are
– “all paint, ” as my artist friend remarked,
revelling in the sensuousness of surfaces –
and of countless prints, diaries,
tea-towels and table-mats; father of Impressionism.
1889: Jawaharlal Nehru, pandit (learned master) :
father of modern India. In his homeland his birthday
is Children’s Day, because he loved children – though even he
couldn’t eat a whole one.
1900: Aaron Copland, American composer (Appalachian Spring,
el Salón México, Rodeo, etc., etc.) .
1919 (but some say 1922) : Veronica Lake, iconic movie star of the 1940s.
1948: Prince Charles Windsor, king-in-waiting (a long time) , famous for talking
(A) to plants (since he admitted it in an interview)
and (B) indiscreetly on the telephone to his mistress
(since the security services leaked the call) .
When I was a boy they played the National Anthem on my birthday,
only it was for him, not for me.
1954: Condoleezza Rice (two ‘E’s and two ‘Zee’s) , famous for being
black, and a woman, and arguably one of the most powerful people in the world.
and 1967: Letitia Dean, one-time soap-opera actress, landlady of a fictional pub
in a fictional East End, now a “personality”.
Celebrity makes strange bedfellows.
Paul Hansford's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Accident of Birth by Paul Hansford )
(12 May 1812 – 29 January 1888)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1644 - 1694)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(January 6, 1883 – April 10, 1931)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Dante Gabriel Rossetti
(12 May 1828 – 9 April 1882)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- Beyond, Fabrizio Frosini
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
Poem of the Day
- Textology - 2. Exclamations, Joseph Archer
- Si boru puas si boru Bakkara, molu dung .., Mapung Madura
- I Wore The Fox, Naveed Akram
- Clearing the void, Phil's Writings
- The Treacherous Bride, Asaolu Abayomi
- Them, Tanja Henderson
- It is time for me to go home, Leong Ming Loong
- Forsaken For Your Sake, Asma Riaz Khan
- Textology - 1. Conditionals, Joseph Archer
- WHAT FOR?, Terry Collett