An Accident of Birth
1840: Claude Monet, whiskered creator of canvases of water-lilies so vast
you have to stand across the room to see what they are
– “all paint, ” as my artist friend remarked,
revelling in the sensuousness of surfaces –
and of countless prints, diaries,
tea-towels and table-mats; father of Impressionism.
1889: Jawaharlal Nehru, pandit (learned master) :
father of modern India. In his homeland his birthday
is Children’s Day, because he loved children – though even he
couldn’t eat a whole one.
1900: Aaron Copland, American composer (Appalachian Spring,
el Salón México, Rodeo, etc., etc.) .
1919 (but some say 1922) : Veronica Lake, iconic movie star of the 1940s.
1948: Prince Charles Windsor, king-in-waiting (a long time) , famous for talking
(A) to plants (since he admitted it in an interview)
and (B) indiscreetly on the telephone to his mistress
(since the security services leaked the call) .
When I was a boy they played the National Anthem on my birthday,
only it was for him, not for me.
1954: Condoleezza Rice (two ‘E’s and two ‘Zee’s) , famous for being
black, and a woman, and arguably one of the most powerful people in the world.
and 1967: Letitia Dean, one-time soap-opera actress, landlady of a fictional pub
in a fictional East End, now a “personality”.
Celebrity makes strange bedfellows.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Accident of Birth by Paul Hansford )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Can Love Save The World?, Ronald Chapman
- Brand New Love (Secret Message Poem), Ronald Chapman
- Good-bye Windows XP, Roy Blokker
- Realy enjoying THAT 'last slice' - OF B.., sEaN nOrTh
- Brain Freeze, Ronald Chapman
- Writers block in July, Matthew Holloway
- Birds Flying High, Ronald Chapman
- August 1914, John F. McCullagh
- Between the Lines (Secret Message Poem), Ronald Chapman
- Quiet Pretty Flower, White Lily