An Ode To Freedom
Tagore's timeless poetry and everlasting lyrics.
Kazi Nazrul, the regally maned magnificent man,
rapturous in creation, oh joy.
the radiant gathering at Shahid Minar on Language Day.
the flag-draped, slogan-serenaded boisterous procession.
the farmer amidst his fields, beaming face.
the village lass's lightsome swim in mid-day pond.
the sinewy muscles on a skilled workman's sun-bronzed arms.
the glint in the eyes of a freedom fighter scouting the darkened and deserted borders.
the crisply-worded, scorching speech of a sprited scholar beneath the shade of a banyan tree.
the tumult of chats in tea-shops, public gathering and the park.
the roaring swoop of kal-boishakhi on the fiery horizon athwart.
the Meghna's heart, swelling shores in the month of Sraban.
the velvety touch, father's chivalrous prayer-mat.
the ripples on mother's unadorned sari stretched in the yard.
the hue of henna on sister's gentle hand.
a vivid placard shimmering stars gripped by a friend.
the wife's raven tresses, tempestuous in the untamed wind.
The colorful kurta on a young boy.
The playful sunlight on a girl's supple cheeks.
The home amidst a flower garden; the warble of koel-bird.
The twittering leaves of antediluvian banyan trees.
My notebook of poetry, to pen poems as I please.
[Translated from 'Shadinota Tumi' (Bengali) by Syed M. Islam.]
Shamsur Rahman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Ode To Freedom by Shamsur Rahman )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Home They Brought Her Warrior Dead, Alfred Lord Tennyson
Poem of the Day
- I Pray For You, Gillu Rahul
- Touch Downs, Saiom Shriver
- Bethlehem, Saiom Shriver
- Beloved Brand, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- The Shadow, Benjamin Michael Clark
- Under The Moonlit Nights, I See You, See.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- have you seen my hand?, Mandolyn ...
- My Inspiration Are You, The Day I Saw You, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Azar, Nassy Fesharaki
- Ohio State, Saiom Shriver