An Ode To Freedom
Tagore's timeless poetry and everlasting lyrics.
Kazi Nazrul, the regally maned magnificent man,
rapturous in creation, oh joy.
the radiant gathering at Shahid Minar on Language Day.
the flag-draped, slogan-serenaded boisterous procession.
the farmer amidst his fields, beaming face.
the village lass's lightsome swim in mid-day pond.
the sinewy muscles on a skilled workman's sun-bronzed arms.
the glint in the eyes of a freedom fighter scouting the darkened and deserted borders.
the crisply-worded, scorching speech of a sprited scholar beneath the shade of a banyan tree.
the tumult of chats in tea-shops, public gathering and the park.
the roaring swoop of kal-boishakhi on the fiery horizon athwart.
the Meghna's heart, swelling shores in the month of Sraban.
the velvety touch, father's chivalrous prayer-mat.
the ripples on mother's unadorned sari stretched in the yard.
the hue of henna on sister's gentle hand.
a vivid placard shimmering stars gripped by a friend.
the wife's raven tresses, tempestuous in the untamed wind.
The colorful kurta on a young boy.
The playful sunlight on a girl's supple cheeks.
The home amidst a flower garden; the warble of koel-bird.
The twittering leaves of antediluvian banyan trees.
My notebook of poetry, to pen poems as I please.
[Translated from 'Shadinota Tumi' (Bengali) by Syed M. Islam.]
Shamsur Rahman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Ode To Freedom by Shamsur Rahman )
- A Few Beautiful Poems for Whom, for What…, Hebert Logerie
- Flash trade, hasmukh amathalal
- I know no one besides my mother, gajanan mishra
- Her Front Door, Randy McClave
- Thankless animal, hasmukh amathalal
- Treat Me Right, Katherine Nordhaus
- A Call to the MinuteMen, Michael Stevens
- Romeos morning serenade climb, Mark Heathcote
- Screamers, Lev Brekhman
- Bitter lament, Lev Brekhman
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Surfer, Judith Wright
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- All Day It Has Rained, Alun Lewis
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
- Heather Burns
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)