Nika McGuin

(12/01/89 - present / Louisiana)

Antithesis Island, It's Thursday Again


Same island
different history
it's really something else
how we can have the same homeland
yet experience it so differently
you always complain about the recession
but me and my people don't even feel the change
we've always been on the poorer side
so to us, it's just an ordinary Thursday

Submitted: Monday, April 28, 2014
Edited: Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Do you like this poem?
0 person liked.
0 person did not like.

Read this poem in other languages

This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.

I would like to translate this poem »

word flags

What do you think this poem is about?

Poet's Notes about The Poem

This came about from me thinking about Haiti and The Dominican Republic, and the fact that they exist on the same island but have completely different cultures, histories, languages even. Instead of making the poem about that, I compared it to the economies of southern Louisiana vs. states that have always been better off. In reality the recession does affect us, but it just feels normal since we've never been a rich area to begin with.

Comments about this poem (Antithesis Island, It's Thursday Again by Nika McGuin )

Enter the verification code :

  • Valsa George (5/3/2014 6:46:00 AM)

    you always complain about the recession
    but me and my people don't even feel the change
    we've always been on the poorer side
    so to us, it's just an ordinary Thursday

    What an open statement of facts with no cover ups.... While some people wallow in wealth, some others suffer from the pangs of poverty... While some areas are whirled in progress, in some other places, development is in eternal doldrums... This is the situation in every part of the world and we boast of equality....! Enjoyed the usage
    'It's just an ordinary Thursday'! (Report) Reply

  • Daniel Brick (4/30/2014 8:33:00 PM)

    Tomorrow is Thursday so it's appropriate to read this poem tonight. As I read it, the image of Haiti came into my mind and voila there it was in your notes after I finished. For a nation called the UNITED States, there is certainly an excessive amount of disunion in our experiences. The irony of your last sentence is dismaying: the recession
    SEEMS NORMAL SINCE WE'VE NEVER BEEN A RICH AREA. What a mockery of the idea of citizenship for some to be living in gravy and others bereft. I used to watch Bill Moyers and he'd frequently quote the facts (I'm
    paraphrasing) - 5% of the population control 65% of the resources, leaving 35% for the remaining 95% of the population. What! That's supposed to be democracy! And yet there are people - fellow citizens - who would call your poem and my percentages - UNPATRIOTIC! Go figure. This is one of those NECESSARY poems. (Report) Reply

Read all 3 comments »

Top Poems

  1. Phenomenal Woman
    Maya Angelou
  2. The Road Not Taken
    Robert Frost
  3. If You Forget Me
    Pablo Neruda
  4. Still I Rise
    Maya Angelou
  5. Dreams
    Langston Hughes
  6. Annabel Lee
    Edgar Allan Poe
  7. If
    Rudyard Kipling
  8. I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
    Maya Angelou
  9. Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
    Robert Frost
  10. Invictus
    William Ernest Henley

PoemHunter.com Updates

New Poems

  1. Love Your Neighbor, Roxanne Dubarry
  2. Hidden Voice, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
  3. Francine, Cyndi K. Encinares Gacosta
  4. The face of a young woman in pink, Cyndi K. Encinares Gacosta
  5. Segundas/Sobre reudas, Cyndi K. Encinares Gacosta
  6. Snail Talk for Rosemary, Daniel Brick
  7. Dear Greg, Roxanne Dubarry
  8. Rosy flower, hasmukh amathalal
  9. Ideas, gajanan mishra
  10. Clad in Stars, Steven Rhoads

Poem of the Day

poet Dante Gabriel Rossetti

Young Love lies sleeping
In May-time of the year,
Among the lilies,
Lapped in the tender light:
White lambs come grazing,
White doves come building there:
...... Read complete »

   

Member Poem

[Hata Bildir]