IS it thy will that I should wax and wane,
Barter my cloth of gold for hodden grey,
And at thy pleasure weave that web of pain
Whose brightest threads are each a wasted day?
Is it thy will--Love that I love so well--
That my Soul's House should be a tortured spot
Wherein, like evil paramours, must dwell
The quenchless flame, the worm that dieth not?
Nay, if it be thy will I shall endure,
And sell ambition at the common mart,
And let dull failure be my vestiture,
And sorrow dig its grave within my heart.
Perchance it may be better so--at least
I have not made my heart a heart of stone,
Nor starved my boyhood of its goodly feast,
Nor walked where Beauty is a thing unknown.
Many a man hath done so; sought to fence
In straitened bonds the soul that should be free,
Trodden the dusty road of common sense,
While all the forest sang of liberty,
Not marking how the spotted hawk in flight
Passed on wide pinion through the lofty air,
To where the steep untrodden mountain height
Caught the last tresses of the Sun God's hair.
Or how the little flower he trod upon,
The daisy, that white-feathered shield of gold,
Followed with wistful eyes the wandering sun
Content if once its leaves were aureoled.
But surely it is something to have been
The best belovèd for a little while,
To have walked hand in hand with Love, and seen
His purple wings flit once across thy smile.
Ay! though the gorgèd asp of passion feed
On my boy's heart, yet have I burst the bars,
Stood face to face with Beauty, known indeed
The Love which moves the Sun and all the stars!
Oscar Wilde's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Apologia by Oscar Wilde )
Did you read them?
- हार्थखिया मिनिदोँ, Ronjoy Brahma
- just orientation..many can be straighten.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Demented Souls (A re-submission), Valsa George
- King One - Lincoln Park Zoo, Ima Ryma
- दिनैनि सानरेबाव, Ronjoy Brahma
- The Storm Within, Erika Wingo
- The Beloved XXXVI, Sadiqullah Khan
- Last Inks XXXVII, Sadiqullah Khan
- Sit silently, hasmukh amathalal
- Only People XXXVIII, Sadiqullah Khan
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Hunger, Jayanta Mahapatra
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Conclusion, Sir Walter Raleigh
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(30 October 1885 – 1 November 1972)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)