Being Declared Dead Can Ruin Your Health
If it ain’t the truth, Tuttles and Buttles in the movie Brazil,
One miss type can leave you dead, one wrong keying could spell your demise,
One incorrect number on your Social Security Number,
Could possibly render you non-existent.
That is the nightmare Laura Todd had to seal with for eight years.
“I don’t think people realize how difficult it is to be dead
When you’re not, ” she said.
The IRS has to be convinced that she is alive,
She has regain her identity,
She will lose her sanity.
On the other hand,
My mom died, literally.
She was supposed to a have an outpatient surgery on her gall bladder,
I drove to St. John’s Hospital in Detroit,
Located on Moross and Mack, the Upper East Side,
She died because of surgical miscues,
Besides her dying in the hospice room at St. John’s that didn’t matter.
My siblings and I buried her at Mt. Olivet cemetery.
But yet she received a questionnaire;
Asking her to rate the hospital stay which she encountered.
Food, (though she was intubated for three days)
The room temperature, (she had a 104-5 fever everyday) ,
Among other moot questions.
Someone sent her this questionnaire as if she was discharged,
Discharged for life?
It is kind of odd,
That my mom was the reciprocal for Laura Todd,
Laura has to prove that she is alive and well,
On the other hand, furthermore
My mom had to prove that she was dead by proxy.
1984 is not a fictional book anymore.
It is not case for Orwellian it’s the case for Ordeadian.
Joe Rosochacki's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Being Declared Dead Can Ruin Your Health by Joe Rosochacki )
- Song, Blessing Ekpe
- Everyone Asks, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Sooner or later عاجلا ام اجلا, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- The Fools Game, Poetic Lilly Emery
- Dragons Of The Night, David Harris
- Spread Some Love, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- True Romance, Electric Lady
- For every smile thus there the stars of .., Raymond Sawyer
- he Gift, david kush
- I'm always like this, MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- It Is the Hour, George Gordon Byron
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- This is Just to Say, William Carlos Williams
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1927)
(5 November 1494 – 19 January 1576)