Today we celebrate Louis Reard, a French designer par excellence
He created, as far as men are concerned, a fashion renaissance.
The year was 1946 when Mr. Reard this day unfurled
What he would happily advertise as the smallest bathing suit in the world.
He took 30 square inches of cloth which he deftly fabricated
Into a bra and panties for the beach and voila, the bikini was created.
Since the Atomic bomb test on Bikini Atoll the year before garnered such acclaim
He chose the name bikini thinking people's reaction would be the same
He was right, women immediately bought the bikini and he knew he had a hit when...
He received 50,000 fan letters right away- all of them from men.
So today we celebrate the bikini, we celebrate it's design, it's simplicity, it's reach
And the only reason any man has for going to the beach.
Jim Yerman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Bikini Day by Jim Yerman )
- The Daughter of the Earth - 19, gajanan mishra
- NEUROSCIENCE HIDDEN TREASURE, Dominic George
- THE LILIES MORE ADORNED, Dominic George
- BEYOND POSSIBLE COMPREHENSION, Dominic George
- ROUND AND ROLL WE GO, Dominic George
- MODERN CROOK: DARK SECRET SOCIETY, Dominic George
- THE UNSUNG SIDE OF MAGIC (Acrostic poem:.., Dominic George
- DEVASTATED MOTHER, Dominic George
- CLOWN'S SNEER, Dominic George
- THE IRK CRY OF A LONELY GHOUL, Dominic George
Poem of the Day
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(2 June 1840 – 11 January 1928)