Can You Not See
Can you not see the sorrow, in someone's tearful eyes,
Or see the dread, in someone's weary frown.
Can you not see the fear, when someone's telling lies,
Or feel the sadness, in the laughter of a clown.
Can you not see disappointment, in someone's shoulder stoop,
Or the hand of doubt, when someone drags their feet.
Their whole being, giving signs, with a sagging body droop,
That their life, in this world, isn't quite complete.
Can you not see that each poor soul, has a heavy cross to bear,
One which we hope, will never come our way,
Perhaps the onus, is on us, to show them that we care,
And lift their spirits, and take away dismay.
Then we could see the smile, in someone's brightening eyes,
And the serenity, in someone's lifting frown.
The openness, when someone speaks, they'll have no need for lies,
And there will be a healing, in the laughter of a clown.
© Ernestine Northover
Ernestine Northover's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Can You Not See by Ernestine Northover )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 February 1970-)
(27 December 1797 – 15 February 1869)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Carpe Diem, Naveed Khalid
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Tumhe main Peyar Nehi de, Kumar Vishwas
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- Main To Jhonka Hu Hava Ka Ura Le Jaunga, Kumar Vishwas
Poem of the Day
- Poem N10, Kristian Djordjanov
- Poem N9, Kristian Djordjanov
- Misunderstood, LLDr. Gyd
- Poem N8, Kristian Djordjanov
- Poem N7, Kristian Djordjanov
- Twilight of Love, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Poem N6, Kristian Djordjanov
- Blesses Be, Clara Keiper
- Poem N5, Kristian Djordjanov
- Glowing Face, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan