Christmas Coming Thoughts Of Spring
December and the trees are bare
And breath of Winter in the air
And holy, holy Christmas Day
One day less than a week away.
The nights are long and cold and drear
The days are short this time of year
And I am longing for the Spring
When grasses grow and songbirds sing.
And though Christmas means a lot to me
I'd much prefer, prefer to see
Wildflowers blooming in grassy leas
And glossy leaves adorning trees.
At Christmas Christians honour Jesus birth
The son of God who walked on Earth
He lived amongst us common men
And on a cross died for our sin.
What right have I to celebrate
The birth of one so pure and great
When I am full of selfish greed
And only think of my own need.
And in a World of so much mistrust
Christmas ought to belong to the just
And I for one don't feel worthy to pray
In Jesus house on Christmas Day.
Yet even I can appreciate
The wonders that our God create
And in God and Nature I feel I see
Perhaps a common entity.
In Spring I see their miraculous power
In every blade of grass and flower
And hear their tender and mellow voice
When all of their little birds rejoice.
December and the weather cold
And old year getting very old
And housewife buying the Christmas tree
And thoughts of Springtime haunting me.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Christmas Coming Thoughts Of Spring by Francis Duggan )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(3 June 1926 – 5 April 1997)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Mystical Desires, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Fighting, Dark Guardian
- I Like My Lips Against Yours, Is It Poetry
- Sound Of India, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Best Test, John Shea
- peace in the battle field..., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Refueling My Soul, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- God I'll Bake For You, Mr. Nobody
- Exploitation, Akhtar Jawad
- Kill not, kill not, gajanan mishra