Consider Yourself Lucky …. [Things COULD Be Worse! ; History; Personal Problems; Humor (Maybe Not) ]
I’m not a history buff at all, ……BUT I’ve heard some stories ……
about some of history’s most grievous moments, and some …..of its glories.
I’ll repeat several of the grievous moments for you now to hear.
Some of you may scoff at them, while some may shed a tear.
In ancient Rome some early Christians were fed to wild beasts.
In Fiji once lived men who, on their enemies, would feast.
Citizens of Pompeii were buried by volcanic ash and mud.
Native Americans were persecuted by “whites”....who sometimes shed their blood.
Millions died from the Black Plague in Europe many years ago,
and millions more died,........when the ‘winds of war’, there, did ‘blow’.
People have been doomed to suffer, and sometimes die indeed,
for being of the “wrong” color,....caste, ethnicity, or creed.
So perhaps next time you break a nail, your car runs out of gas,
you don’t get the gift-desired, or, the math exam, you fail to pass,
consider history; then you may think yourself a lucky gal or guy,
that you aren’t in ancient Rome....with a lion chewing on your thigh.
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
also, i will point out that i borrowed 'winds of war' from a book title, Winds of War by Herman Wouk, about world war 2.
thanks herman! bri :)
Comments about this poem (Consider Yourself Lucky …. [Things COULD Be Worse! ; History; Personal Problems; Humor (Maybe Not) ] by Bri Edwards )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Algernon Charles Swinburne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- An Almost Made Up Poem, Charles Bukowski
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- I Knew a Woman, Theodore Roethke
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Who Needs Rains In Heaven?, G. AKANJI OLANIYI
- Prevention is better than cure, Leong Ming Loong
- Twittering Among Feelings, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Living Passion, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Love Magic, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Life Stretching, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Electric Love, Suresh Dogra
- Capturing An Awareness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Letting Imagination Run, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A river, Leong Ming Loong