Dear lord, I know I'm nothing more
than a simple teacher at this school.
You see it's the last day of term
and I need a little help
to get through
the rest of the day.
It's not that I don't like the kids in my year 10
but they already glued my coffee cup
to the desk and hid the marker.
I'm not being funny
but I really need that marker
and somehow, I don't know how,
the classroom pet rat is gone
and its only half past eleven.
Dear Lord, help me please
my year 10 make the devil look like fun.
I'm hiding in the supply cupboard
they can't get me in here
but Oh know they are making Paul eat the blue paint
and Mary is hanging
from the top of the whiteboard,
says she will not come down
untill Simon stops cutting her hair.
Now don't get me wrong lord i love the kids that's
why i teach but i would rather have on this day, year
8 or 9 even Mrs coal's class they look like zombie
which is absurd.
Dear lord if you would see fit in letting a few just dispar
like the one that supper glue my register book to the wall
maria goodison's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Dear Lord by maria goodison )
- Renaissance, LALITHA JOSEPH
- Picture Puzzle, Heather Burns
- Is a woman free really?, gajanan mishra
- Midnight Blue, Heather Burns
- Rodeo Rogues, Saiom Shriver
- Seek And Ye Shall Find, Saiom Shriver
- Starlove, Saiom Shriver
- Sonnet No: 62 I WERE A CUCKOO, I'D SWE.., Dipankar Sadhukhan
- dreams and reality, Rahman Henry
- To Alex. Cunningham, Esq., Writer, Edinb.., Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
Udiah (witness to Yah)