The love we shared we killed in haste.
The time we spent we see as waste.
The son I raised is now not mine.
The life we lived has spilt like wine.
The trust we built is now but lost.
The warmth we felt is now but frost.
The truths we knew have spoiled to lies.
The thoughts of then now turn to sighs.
The secrets sworn are now betrayed.
The other's shame we now parade.
The home we made has now been sold.
The memories there hang like mould.
The dreams we spun we left forlorn.
The plans we drew are now all torn.
The pictures taken have been ripped.
Of gifts exchanged we have been stripped.
Those speak for us, who could care less.
Only strangers hear us confess.
Time, money now spent to avenge.
The only goal is sweet revenge.
Paid lawyers know what is now best.
Staid judges say when we will rest.
Once, dear, friends are now witnesses.
Once, days of life, are now Xeroxes.
We will end up where we started.
Neither gaining since we parted.
Years of conflict will be a waste.
We will mourn what we killed in haste.
Mike Acker's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Divorce by Mike Acker )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(22 March 1941 -)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- There Goes My Baby, Zahoor Butt
- One Ethics One Language, Akhtar Jawad
- i hide acorns, cristobal Benjumea
- do we go to toulouse or new york, cristobal Benjumea
- do we go to toloulouse or new york, cristobal Benjumea
- I see the ruins did love win or lose, cristobal Benjumea
- REAL HUMANITY, hasmukh amathalal
- Non Sequitur with Sirius, Paul Hartal
- Suiyang, My Hometown, Luo Zhihai
- Correction Room, Akhtar Jawad