Double-duty Clothesline...... [Domestic life; drying clothes outdoors; birds; short]
A plastic-coated steel cable stretches taut across our elevated spacious deck.
This clothesline’s meant to last longer than me and keep our drying clothes in check.
I’ve altered it to ensure it does its job, though faced with mighty winds, ......
UNLESS there is some failure of hangers, or of clothes pins with which our clothes are pinned.....
Today I watched as our hanging T-shirts put on a grand display;
they tossed and turned like dervishes but did not blow away.
And later when I’d brought the clothes indoors, after they were dry,
I watched as three kinds of birds landed on the line, and then, off again, they did fly......
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Double-duty Clothesline...... [Domestic life; drying clothes outdoors; birds; short] by Bri Edwards )
Did you read them?
- Natural, David Chap Bottoms
- I end poem, hasmukh amathalal
- here's my armadillo, now get me a pillow.., Mandolyn ...
- A, Vera Sidhwa
- With her ability, hasmukh amathalal
- Inhuman way, hasmukh amathalal
- THERE IS…, michael walkerjohn
- My words, hasmukh amathalal
- Nice ending, hasmukh amathalal
- Found in, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Farewell Love and All Thy Laws Forever, Sir Thomas Wyatt
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)