Dry roses I held in my hand, tears fell down from my eyes like rain.
As I recited a promise written in sand,
I was a broken soul in pain.
A promise, like those roses,
had gone brittle with time
she promised to meet me at the old church well,
be it rain or shine,
O what lies she could tell.
Day by day, I waited by the old church well,
heavy with a heart so swollen,
before the chime of the church bell, waiting for
a love that had fallen.
O my love, you became so bitter, what happened to the only one sweeter?
I cried out to reach your heart's core,
but the songs of my sorrow
only make my heart sore.
With roses, I waited every hour, in the dead of cold, for a love turned so sour.
wishing she was there to hold.
I waited by the old church well, before the chime of the old church bell. Playing witness to the death of love and beauty,
wondering what shuttered our blessed unity.
mbuyu makayi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Dry Roses by mbuyu makayi )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Anecdote of the Jar, Wallace Stevens
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Three Kings, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Indian Weavers, Sarojini Naidu
Poem of the Day
- New Birth, Paul Sebastian
- First Encounter - Tan Sri Clement Hii, john tiong chunghoo
- I Chose To Mickey With The Mouse, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Honey-Bee Lover, Paul Sebastian
- How real is This Truth?, michael walkerjohn
- What Bhagavad Gita is not, Bashyam Narayanan
- Sold, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Pain, Pain Knows No Race, Hebert Logerie
- God's Hands Of Love, Tom Zart
- Alone, Samantha Gronn