“We need to talk, ” she said on the phone.
The sun was going down,
trees a silhouette
giving way to darkening sky.
“Meet me at the graveyard” she had said.
I went and stood by our usual tomb,
“Hemingway” – probably not Ernest,
I finished my cigarette.
“Hey there, ” she said catching me by surprise.
Did she always have to be so beautiful?
Her hazel eyes gave life
to the grey lingering air.
“The test came back, ” she said.
Her eyes dived into my eyes.
She held her ambiguous stare,
I hoped I could hold mine.
“I wasn’t ready for this, ” she said.
The drowning sun
reflected off her tears.
Or was it my eyes that were drowning?
“I still love you, ” she said.
I’m was holding her then,
we embraced for awhile.
Is it sick I wanted to stay like this?
“I have to go, ” she said.
Moon light shadowed tombstone faces.
An empty bier was prepared for tomorrow –
it will be filled by then.
Patrick Dumas's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Empty Grave by Patrick Dumas )
- The Monster, Barbara Dixion
- There Is Nothing But Darkness, Ronell Warren Alman
- Unpopped Corn Kernals and Cold Hearts..., Monk E. Biz
- The Full Moon, Vigna Mukund
- Adrenaline is my Mistress, Hayley Lewis
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.33, Monk E. Biz
- Incarnation, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Eternal creation, ramesh rai
- Lomp doch fijn besnaard 2, Madrason writer
- Treasured days..., David Lessard
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)