Suspended on a beam of moon-light,
a silhouette against the window pane
when the man in the sky watches over us.
Awoken when the first
rays of our new rising star
pierce its glass body
in a galaxy of kaleidoscopic colors
across the room and into my eyes.
The window ornament hangs still
as the heartbeat of surprise,
only vacillating when the morning breeze
asks it to dance in celebration of its rebirth.
A moon and sun connect in a circle
to form its abdomen, linked stars – triplets – descending
in size make up its arms and legs.
The moon is a tarnished blue
with eyes of sadness and majestic intelligence.
The grin of the sun with wild eyed hopefulness
gives away its warm heartedness colored in
orange and outlined in red.
The stars of its limbs are clear as those
in the night – telescopes into the crystal unknown.
Such a simple reaction – light touching glass,
and yet it allows this metamorphosis
of the prisms to show their true ability,
otherwise dormant in existence.
Patrick Dumas's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Empty Silhouette by Patrick Dumas )
- rotating, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- I Wait for Thee, Adam M. Snow
- With dignity, hasmukh amathalal
- Aurat, Bano Ali
- Change The Inevitable, Tony Adah
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.57, Mr. Nobody
- Long before my birth (cavatina), Gert Strydom
- Let Me Be Her<3, Nautica Moxley
- Absalom, Gert Strydom
- Freedom Is Calling, Tony Adah
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)