Suspended on a beam of moon-light,
a silhouette against the window pane
when the man in the sky watches over us.
Awoken when the first
rays of our new rising star
pierce its glass body
in a galaxy of kaleidoscopic colors
across the room and into my eyes.
The window ornament hangs still
as the heartbeat of surprise,
only vacillating when the morning breeze
asks it to dance in celebration of its rebirth.
A moon and sun connect in a circle
to form its abdomen, linked stars – triplets – descending
in size make up its arms and legs.
The moon is a tarnished blue
with eyes of sadness and majestic intelligence.
The grin of the sun with wild eyed hopefulness
gives away its warm heartedness colored in
orange and outlined in red.
The stars of its limbs are clear as those
in the night – telescopes into the crystal unknown.
Such a simple reaction – light touching glass,
and yet it allows this metamorphosis
of the prisms to show their true ability,
otherwise dormant in existence.
Patrick Dumas's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Empty Silhouette by Patrick Dumas )
- 3, Smoky Hoss
- Soul Holes, Smoky Hoss
- Magic of Indian Democracy, SANDIP GOSWAMI
- ...and am loving it, Manonton Dalan
- There is yet Hope, Smoky Hoss
- Beauty And The Beholder, hugh everard
- Black Rose, Poetic Lilly Emery
- Joyful Is Life With Colours, Rohit Sapra
- Ferguson and Law Enforcement, Is It Poetry
- आज फिर तेरी याद आई हैं, Kahil Mehar
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)