For Kay Newly Transfered to a Nursing Home
I lie awake and hear the shifts
Alter as I dream and drift
Mixing wish with long nightmares,
Cursing as I'm made aware
Of the meaning of a gesture,
A look that meant a new in vesture
I did not see so long ago,
I did not answer, I did not know;
I hear them stacking garbage pails,
In the dim light weak and pale,
Someone says, 'Go back to bed, '
Someone says, 'I think she's dead; '
Someone died within the night,
They rush the body out of sight;
Not wishing to spread alarm,
On Old McDonald's Death's Door Farm;
I hear them rattle pots and pans,
Someone says, 'Don't give a damn.'
Someone checks my cage and stall,
'Oh, so you're alive after all.'
Remember you must get up and walk
Freedom depends on more than talk.
David McLansky's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (For Kay Newly Transfered to a Nursing Home by David McLansky )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Life-Lesson, James Whitcomb Riley
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Where once you stood, Edward Clapham
- Thou hast dove eyes, thou hast dove eyes., devon da poet
- Habits, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- CAN'T GET THERE., Terry Collett
- Blurred vision., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- One Hundred and Eleven Cranks, Mitchell Gonzalez
- Want Versus Need..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Why we quarrel., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Death in action., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- The River! The River!, Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR