On this holiday afternoon, on my bed as I leisurely lie,
Through the Southern window as I look at the azure sky,
I can see the split patches of white clouds trailing across,
And floating away...afar...to some unknown destinations.
Very often our overhead sky, as the airport is nearby,
Is traversed by aeroplanes streaking across the sky.
Their colorful tails adorned with flags of varying kinds,
Like flags of nations, or just with the logo of the Airlines.
I keep gazing at those like a child as they fly away,
Sometimes burying themselves in the cloud and
Sometimes piercing through the patches right away,
As if playing hide and seek, like the children at play.
Whenever I find a transport carrying people,
To distant destinations by air, road, sea or rail,
My mind likes to follow suit in right earnest,
And to the passengers I send an imaginary request.
I request them to carry my good wishes, wherever they go,
Strangers they may be, but I develop an instant friendship,
And with that relationship, want to say good bye to each,
So that their distant destinations they may safely reach.
As I stand, sit or lie motionless, and gaze at them,
I feel sad to see them go out of my sight..and away,
I feel as if a piece of my heart has gone with them,
And soon I return to reality, to do the things mundane.
Khairul Ahsan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Going Away by Khairul Ahsan )
Did you read them?
- Hand To Hold, Kelly Zion
- Can't Win, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Free Samples, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Dr. Lmst., RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- After An Unfortunate Incident, Morgan Michaels
- Only in Vegas, Angela K Brown
- Morning, Angela K Brown
- Shifting Afternoon, Angela K Brown
- Song of Solomon, Angela K Brown
- The watcher is watched, Christopher Withers
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)