Dr. Tulsi Hanumanthu
Hall of Universal Peace
This midnight bids farewell to parting year
Who then, on chariot Time, his seat vacates.
The New Year succeeds him as Charioteer:
To drive us on, he's waiting at our gates.
But OURS the choice of paths and destinations:
The Charioteer obeys but our instructions.
We must, to reach the most coveted station
Of PEACE, choose well-lit roads sans obstructions.
Such routes are those of Friendship, Love, Compassion,
Justice, Pardon, Truth and Selflessness.
The dingy lanes of Greed, Envy, Passion,
And Conflict lead to woe and sleeplessness.
Let's ask the New Year, within time minimal
To drive us to a common rendezvous.
Let's there construct the Hall of Universal
Peace, each person laying a brick or two.
Let it have Equality-spelling shape -
The rotund one that God has given the world.
Its doors with COLOURLESS curtains let us drape
And let a HUELESS flag be unfurled.
Every year, let's add a storey more;
Let its height increase step by step
Till, at last, the threshold of its door
Is face to face with our Heaven's doorstep.
This Heaven-on-Earth - man's own creation -
Who helps to build of his own volition,
Won't he find, after life's duration,
Into Heaven above sure admission?
Dr. Tulsi Hanumanthu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hall of Universal Peace by Dr. Tulsi Hanumanthu )
- The Simple Life, Nate Morris
- To touch a star is to be touch by the st.., Raymond Sawyer
- A Prayer For Self Identity, Maurice Harris
- throwing sticks at the stars, Mandolyn ...
- For the Love of Poetry, Sandra Feldman
- The stars that whisper the name Star Buc.., Raymond Sawyer
- The Universe Of True Love, Poetic Lilly Emery
- A Halloween Haiku, Thomas Koron
- What a lovely night to see a star., Raymond Sawyer
- Lonely mirror ball., Simon Gowen
Poem of the Day
- How to Write the Great American Indian N.., Sherman Alexie
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(15 September 1889 – 22 May 1948)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)