She tells me that her eyes are hazel,
but the color green, like basil,
is her favorite, it seems.
Eyes provoke a lover’s dreams
whether hazel, brown or blue,
and even when they’re green they can
cause raptures to a loving man
as prejudiced against this color
as any misanthropic mullah.
With her eyes she casts a spell––
hazel clearly suits her well.
Even were they green I think
I’d love her, though, if they were pink
or even worse, were they bloodshot,
I’d hesitate. But they are not.
Written after Zak sent me a photo I took of Rikki looking at family photos with him on the swing seat in the patio of our garden. I showed the photo to Rikki and asked her what color here eyes were. “Hazel, ” she replied.
gershon hepner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (hazel eyes by gershon hepner )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- WE ARE HERE, Christina Sunrise
- Your love, Mark Heathcote
- Love In A Bottle, Midnights Voice
- Oh Mediterranean sea, fgbkehdguwheqi rewfgwej
- Ramblings of Devils Workshop, Nalini Chaturvedi
- BEFORE YOU CAST THE STONE, kevinsky nyaga
- Remembering you Bother, NEDRA WILSON
- Noemia de Sousa (The Poem of Joao), African Poems
- Hard Times for Horses, Janet Armstrong
- Pappou Elias' Poem, Elia Michael