“Hey Mr. Ranger Sir, All that I Want is a Picnic Basket -Uhm, better make it a Minivan.”
The first part of the title, I often recall, that’s what Yogi the Bear said the park ranger.
The human species choice of vehicle break-ins, in the USA, is the Cadillac Escalade.
But if you have a minivan and go to the national parks, you are in danger.
The minivan is vehicle of choice of the park bears.
They don’t march in a parade,
-however they stealthly prey on their prey.
One should fear.
The reasons aren't entirely clear,
-says study author Stewart Breck of the National Wildlife Research Center,
but probably have something to do with the messy passengers common in minivans.
'Not all minivans had food in them, ' Breck says of his study’s findings,
'but what they do have is 'microtrash'
(a certain type of prepubescent adolescent stash)
— (from) kids spilling juice and pulverizing crackers. …
(if kids can then they mostly likely they would)
A lot of these minivans smell like food, even though they don’t have food in them.'
A lot of food is left on the floor and seats not in his or her tummy.
'Bears like toiletries, ' says Yosemite ranger Kari Cobb.
'Peach shampoo smells really yummy.'
So campers clean out your minivans to the tee and with no haste,
Before you travel the Yosemite and the Great Teton National Parks.
“The motivation to rip into a vehicle wafting potato-chip scent is strong.
Bears in Yosemite normally subsist on a diet of acorns, berries, grasses and herbs.
Why munch acorns when you can chow down on cookies,
-granola bars and even toothpaste?
Joe Rosochacki's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (“Hey Mr. Ranger Sir, All that I Want is a Picnic Basket -Uhm, better make it a Minivan.” by Joe Rosochacki )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- December 28th: Feast Of The Holy Innocents, Saiom Shriver
- End of the Year, Light Mark
- Let It Be on Monday, God, Donal Mahoney
- Rain, Devin Lasker
- Lyrics Lifted Aloft, Saiom Shriver
- Who Are They?, Gbolagade Taiwo
- Broken Marriage, Donal Mahoney
- New York City, Dawson Walter Smith
- I will turn my eyes from you, Nero CaroZiv
- In Concert Tonight, Donal Mahoney