Hope shines-as in a stable a wisp of straw.
Fear not the wasp drunk with his crazy flight!
Through some chink always, see, the moted light!
Propped on your hand, you dozed-But let me draw
Cool water from the well for you, at least,
Poor soul! There, drink! Then sleep. See, I remain,
And I will sing a slumberous refrain,
And you shall murmur like a child appeased.
Noon strikes. Approach not, Madam, pray, or call….
He sleeps. Strange how a woman's light footfall
Re-echoes through the brains of grief-worn men!
Noon strikes. I bade them sprinkle in the room.
Sleep on! Hope shines-a pebble in the gloom.
-When shall the Autumn rose re-blossom,-when?
Paul Verlaine's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hope Shines by Paul Verlaine )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Kazi Nazrul Islam
(24 May 1899 - 29 August 1976)
(1330 - 1390)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Moonlit Night, Tu Fu
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Nested above the lavenders, maryline vautravers
- A Semester Night, Muhammad Sarim Ashrafi
- Lonely all the time, Kelly Shanks
- A New Year Prayer of Blessings, Paul Sebastian
- Haiku 10 (A Flower Stands), Paul Sebastian
- Life Goes Clockwise, But..., Richard Blay
- Face the Wind, Paul Sebastian
- The three happy men are in the world, no.., Yuri Starostin
- Far away stare, Cee Bea
- N.D.F.B. Lai katna jau, Pankazz koirala Upadhayaya