I miss you
I walked past your flat today and almost knocked on the door.
I thought I heard your voice and hoped to turn to see your face.
I almost called you on the phone,
then remembered you would not pick up at all.
I went to the old bridge by the river
and sat down alone in the sun.
A feeling of sorrow washed over me
and knowing that we would never play in the river again
made the sorrow stick.
How I miss you and all we did.
How I long for your jokes
and how you'd pick on me.
You showed me how to juggle.
To stand that little bit longer,
to wait and understand the other view.
To run when I feel weak.
To sit and take in the world for what it is.
To never listen to the lie
and always pause to ask why.
Never to cry when feeling wrong.
Never to run before looking where
and always speak my mind.
To forgive and not forget
and take them out with out a doubt.
I walked past your grave tonight and left a smile by the side.
For all the things I said I wouldn’t be
and all the people I would not turn in to.
To find I’ve become what I hated most
and how you would of laughed at me.
maria goodison's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (I miss you by maria goodison )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- [CW]Watch The Flash Season 1 Episode 11 .., Renz Barns
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- What is Courage, Lewis Antonuk
- Full Attention, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Acknowledge What Love has to do with US, michael walkerjohn
- That Thing, Luo Zhihai
- The Polar Star, Tushar Ray
- On Learning in Texas of East Coast Winte.., Bill Grace
- I'm ill, lee fones
- Goodnight My Love, Michael P. McParland
- THEM and the Next Avatar, douglas scotney
- The Devine Write of Poets, Sandra Feldman