I miss you
I walked past your flat today and almost knocked on the door.
I thought I heard your voice and hoped to turn to see your face.
I almost called you on the phone,
then remembered you would not pick up at all.
I went to the old bridge by the river
and sat down alone in the sun.
A feeling of sorrow washed over me
and knowing that we would never play in the river again
made the sorrow stick.
How I miss you and all we did.
How I long for your jokes
and how you'd pick on me.
You showed me how to juggle.
To stand that little bit longer,
to wait and understand the other view.
To run when I feel weak.
To sit and take in the world for what it is.
To never listen to the lie
and always pause to ask why.
Never to cry when feeling wrong.
Never to run before looking where
and always speak my mind.
To forgive and not forget
and take them out with out a doubt.
I walked past your grave tonight and left a smile by the side.
For all the things I said I wouldn’t be
and all the people I would not turn in to.
To find I’ve become what I hated most
and how you would of laughed at me.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (I miss you by maria goodison )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
David Herbert Lawrence
(11 September 1885 – 2 March 1930)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Television, Roald Dahl
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
Poem of the Day
- Hopeless Romantic, Shane Clawson
- Firebird Sunset, Salvatore Ala
- Flicker, Jessica Paige Davies
- I will always return, Jessica Paige Davies
- They are my horses, Jessica Paige Davies
- HOW THEY ALL FALL, Terry Collett
- Caucus at the Parking Meter, Donal Mahoney
- A Small Something, Jessica Paige Davies
- Shrouded, Jessica Paige Davies
- I Live, Tanja Henderson