In a snowy evening in the wood
In a snowy evening
I was wandering in a wood
When gloomy were all human being
And surrounding were in darkling mood.
Suddenly a shrill cry makes awake me
A peep through bush or tree
Of an aged owl, frail, gaunt, and small
In exhausted and beruffled plume
Makes my horse stop and anxious its soul
In an enlarging or growing gloom.
But there is no earthly cause behind the cry
In the winter, shrunken hard and dry.
My horse starts champing the grass
And I promptly jump down
And perhaps, nearby a man of grey dress
A man of face, coloured in brown.
I asked 'Have you seen a man in the wood? '
'There is no body here' he replied 'my dude',
With a shaken and trembling body.
And I tell him 'Tell him I came'
'I have kept my promise and duty'
As well as I add to it my name,
In a sobering and low voice
Before I choose my choice.
I begin to shout loudly by his name
And wander here and there among the trees
But failure touches my aim, O damn!
And I stand still over a bridge
Where the snowy wood finds its end
And where I decide to fix my mind.
Where the evening light mix into growing gloom
And evening starts bide good-bye to the day
So bad my journey, so bad the doom
It is December, not the end of May
When the benumbing cool wind is dominating
And all living creatures look motionless.
Pijush Biswas's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (In a snowy evening in the wood by Pijush Biswas )
- strange is the mindset!, Somanathan Iyer
- DREAMS........., Saturday Chikezie Promise
- For My Love, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- On pins and needles, gajanan mishra
- Soul's Poetry, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Images Of Thought, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- لماذا, ala rhmn
- Down below, GRANT FRASER
- لماذا, ala rhmn
- Branches Reaching, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Morning, Paul Laurence Dunbar
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Prayer Before Birth, Louis Macneice
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(15 April 1958)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)