Lawrence S. Pertillar (February/'47 / Connecticut, USA)
It Smells So Good and Fresh
Nuts have been cracked from their shells,
And their secret taste now scatters.
The ingredients to flavor on pictured menus shown...
Are not the same,
Brewed by stewed cooks hidden and deranged.
They've been hired to prepare pleasant presentations.
But all guests observing...
Have spotted one among them without class.
And feeding on something,
They find delicious not served to them.
And one of their kind removed his mask and asked:
'What is that you're having?
It smells so good and fresh.
We always accept invitations here...
But this crap we eat is a mess.'
This right here is called Integrity.
Over here is a thick slice of Truth.
You probably got a whiff of this...
This is Self-respect.
And it's Purpose I now slowly chew!
'It must be good?
That's the first time I've seen any of that in here!
Do you mind if I join you? '
No! I don't mind at all!
Just make sure you wash your hands,
Before you sit at my table!
It's important you don't bring any of 'that'...
I'm doing the best to keep my 'system' clean!
And with a low profile I have come to enjoy.
Poet Other Poems
- ' The Freed of Getting Frisked at Your R...
- $10 a Gallon?
- $5 a Barrel of What?
- (Further Away) From The Year Two Thousan...
- (The) Benefit of Needless Conflict
- (The) Acceptance of a Nothingness
- (The) Bigger Lie
- (The) Depthness of This Kind of Introsp...
- (The) Fate of Fatal Lovers
- (The) Budding Grace of April
- ...and 'now' I lay me down to sleep
- '...I feel like I've been robbed! '
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.