La Belle Sultane (beaten to a pulp by dark purple flowers)
She was a stranger to me as we both sat down on the busbench
It was 'La Belle Sultane' she blurted without looking right at me
'what' I asked?
'Flowers' she replied, 'right before the thunder and lightning'
Were se deranged? she wore cleaner clothes i dont suppose
Then i saw the bruised shoulder and her back
Another small one above her eye
'What happened? ' i risked.
'Defiled, reviled, exiled', she retorted.
'He brought me flowers La Belle Sultrane pretty purple flowers'
'but he beat you' i dared to point out, there could be no doubt
'yes' and her minds eye wandered
Again i gazed at her
Now a long long silence
I digested she had been peppered by violence
'I was beaten last nite by mr flowers'
She and I boarded the bus
She was not unattractive slightly torn stocking
A silent pleasure to watch her walking
Or was she just the victim of a stalking?
'did u care for him? (why do they always befriend me?)
(why did i ask that~~~~~SOO Stooooopid sometimes)
An old black man boards and stares at her accusingly
I have to know now so i ask 'did u love him? '
'I still do' she turns and looks right into my eyes
Her soft powder blue eyes make me swim
'why' i ask in a very small voice
'Because' 'he always brings me flowers'
Her crooked smile, her straight clean teeth, her nice fingernails
How did she become the damaged entrails?
La Belle Sultrane- i had studied Latin- The beautiful devil?
I bet that is exactly what he is- a beautiful devil
That night i dream of Fiona
She and I dress up and she performs a deranged ballet
She smells like jasmine and kisses my cheek and ear
We both slow dance and the music is romantic and soft as we waltz
I in Armani and she in Valentino red silk gown
In our mutual adoration will we drown
I awaken~ Was the girl real? I have never ridden the bus
La Belle Sultane- proof that i hallucinate
Or was it all real? I have never ridden the bus
La Belle Sultane- what is Sane?
BEAU GOLDEN's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (La Belle Sultane (beaten to a pulp by dark purple flowers) by BEAU GOLDEN )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(9 November 1928 – 4 October 1974)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Beautiful Madness, Steven Rhoads
- I am a poet, Julie Johnson
- Life of War, Steven Rhoads
- Do It Well, Babatunde Aremu
- So Tired, Frank Lindquist
- BHARAT KE VEER, AVINASH PANDEY KHUSH
- Memories of river., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Life musings., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Record, Holy Man
- observing shells on your shore, Mandolyn ...