Lament of the Frontier Guard
By the North Gate, the wind blows full of sand,
Lonely from the beginning of time until now!
Trees rail, the grass goes yellow with autumn.
I climb the towers and towers
to watch out the barbarous land:
Desolate castle, the sky, the wide desert.
There is no wall left to this village.
Bones white with a thousand frosts,
High heaps, covered with trees and grass;
Who brought this to pass?
Who has brought the flaming imperial anger?
Who has brought the army with drums and with kettle-drums?
A gracious spring, turned to blood-ravenous autumn,
A turmoil of wars-men, spread over the middle kingdom,
Three hundred and sixty thousand,
And sorrow, sorrow like rain.
Sorrow to go, and sorrow, sorrow returning.
Desolate, desolate fields,
And no children of warfare upon them,
No longer the men for offence and defence.
Ah, how shall you know the dreary sorrow at the North Gate,
With Rihaku's name forgotten,
And we guardsmen fed to the tigers.
Li Po's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Lament of the Frontier Guard by Li Po )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Happy Teacher's Day,2014, India, Dr John Celes
- Established To Accept, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- I Feel So Stupid, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Thatch and Kilimanjaro, lee fones
- GAZA'S TRIUMPH IS EVERYONE'S انتصار غزة .., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- How, George Egba
- I Called Out To Love, Lora Colon
- Pages Of Unlimited Potential, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Woman, callum marvin
- Interior Light Shining, RoseAnn V. Shawiak