A pretty fragrant flower is the Lotus
It occurs in hues of pink, blue and white
Lotus has been accorded a divine status
It's majestic beauty is a delightful sight.
The Lotus flower is indigenous
To India and surrounding lands
Sanctity and serenity it symbolizes
And is found in marshy lands.
The flower Lotus is perennial
Nelumbo nucifera, is its scientific name
Its purity and grace are real
To North America, it later, came.
The Lotus plant is aquatic
It is found near streams and ponds
It is traditional and symbolic
Of sun, creation and bonds.
The Lotus flower emerges
From the depth of waters murky
Its colour of pink and white merges
In the oval petals of the flower dainty.
The Lotus flower enjoys sun light
To cold weather it is intolerant
The leaves float on surface being light
Its flowers and fruits are coincident.
The dark green leaves in shape oval
Are water repellant (super hydrophobic)
They have long stems and are special
With the colourful flowers scenic.
Lotus is the famous flower
Which opens and closes each day
At night the Lotus flower
Closes and sinks under water way.
The following dawn
It opens and rises again
A flat round seed case is worn
And it in its centre is lain.
The wonderful thing about Lotus
Is that it is impervious to the swamp
Even after growing in murky waters
It remains clean and has a neoteric stamp.
All parts of the plant are edible
It is used in cuisine and is delectable
It's medicinal properties are commendable
And is prized for its spirituality respectable.
"Pink Lotus" is India's National Flower
It is considered as triumph's symbol
The Padma Sri, with emblem of Lotus flower
Is India's Civilian Award for honoured people.
Bhagavad Gita the scripture in Hinduism
Is adjured to be like the flower Lotus
We should dedicate ourselves to God is the symbolism
Untouched by sin, like water on the leaf of Lotus.
The pantheon of Hindu Gods many
Ganesha, Lakshmi, Saraswathi, and Durga along
With Rama, Surya and the Trinity
All co-exist and with the Lotus flower throng.
In Buddhism the Lotus flower represents
Purity of body, speech and mind
In a figurative form it presents
Elegance, Perfection and Sanctity entwined..
Like the Lotus flower ornate
We should stand high above the muddy shoal
Its unfolding exquisite petals postulate
The expansion of the inner soul.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (LOTUS by chandra thiagarajan )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Character, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Night In A Zinc Garb, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Thought after thought, Emmanuel George Cefai
- The Ocean be a grave, Emmanuel George Cefai
- The ocean is a grave, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Harp on the ground, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Verses be less flowing, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Profound thought, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Voice of the wide Ocean, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Inner Soul that sighs, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Fires Burning, Emmanuel George Cefai