You fractious, wayward, ill-tempered girl,
What monstrous, insults at me your hurl!
I inconstant in affection? Look to your soul
In deep reflection.
Can the wayward bumble bee alight
On just one flower and be requite;
It’s in your nature to be so perverse.
Well I know, being so accursed.
I gave you love from out my heart,
Yes, this jesting fool played his part;
I whimpered, I wooed, I hung on your lips,
As if life’s nectar could there be sipped;
Yes, I discourse as one who’s mad,
I ambled and prate like any lad;
I tug and rush upon your line,
Like a fish who’s bait he thinks divine;
Helter-skelter I rush about
Like some mad foolish, doltish lout;
A madman, yes, I’m quite depraved;
These wiles you wield lead to the grave;
I renounce my gifts, my rich words;
My glass repels my acts absurd;
If I have played the lover-fool
Pretend not innocence, being unschooled;
It’s in your Nature to torture men
The devils guards the gates of heaven;
And if I seem wild, uncouth, obtuse;
The cause is yours, oh fledgling youth.
David McLansky's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Mad Poet by David McLansky )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
Did you read them?
- Mistakes, Delia Anna
- I'ts Not a Sin to Love You Like This..., wanderer sailor
- Psalm 096, Forrest Hainline
- Slaves To Appearances, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Changes Can Be Painful, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Rain Affects Incident Light, mary douglas
- Maypole Dancing Dulcet As Spring, mary douglas
- Wish to Say Something, V P Mahur
- Nuclear Love, Monk E. Biz
- Wish Day Or Wash Day And Combine, mary douglas