Mannequins I Have Known
Carol had a neo-plastic emotion that glowed
like a muzzled supernova
whenever you asked a question.
I have seen her pause for hours,
her unwrinkled brow wrestling
with the inexpressible conundrums-
language and existence.
Boris was most likely a double agent,
almost human in his invisible psyche,
but hard-core fiber on the outside.
Basically homeless, splitting his time
between winters in a crowded warehouse
on the East coast,
and summers posing in front of a fun-house parlor.
(Embarrassingly, birds sometimes nested
in the top of his hat)
If Carol and Boris had ever managed to meet,
could they have found eternal happiness
in that place, where touch
and the un-sayable
become mingled together?
Somehow I doubt it, for she
was all naive mid-western cowgirl;
and he, other-worldly sophisticate.
The in-law and logistical problems alone
may well have been
He was too inflexible
in the arena of inter-personal relations,
and she was the eternal virgin;
there was no way
to intertwine their lives
into a single venue.
Life is lonely for the best of us,
but some are doomed
from the very start,
stuck in a revolving track mentality,
doomed to changeless subsistence.
Patti Masterman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Mannequins I Have Known by Patti Masterman )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stafford's Cabin, Edwin Arlington Robinson
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- At the End of the Rainbow, Reagan A. Latumbo
- yeah you got all the answers i know - an.., sEaN nOrTh
- Life-death bicycle, gajanan mishra
- Broken Not Forgotten, Melissa Furey
- 2 ReaD A LinE Or 2 - Sh# ThaT they $mOkE.., sEaN nOrTh
- The Past, Sari Mavi
- winter clothes, Eric Ericson
- Sonnet11: 'Whose Mistresses These Are? '.., Pijush Biswas
- Deep in vogue, Stephen Brian Brady
- Deep into the Sea, Reagan A. Latumbo