My Life for My Mom's Laughter
Picking up the handset I was stunned with surprise:
Whose voice as light as falling leaves in cold skies?
Isn't it ten years, ten odd years, dear mother,
Just in silence to miss and long for one another?
I left without any promises or pledges that day:
The old wild horse from its forest-land went astray.
Ten years for Mom's hair to turn mourning white,
And mourning-like my soul also in such a plight.
You've still been sitting there weaving your pain
By an existence of slapping wind and beating rain.
I've set off to set up from all directions a pyre
In order to disperse the mist for life lighting a fire.
Your voice was broken off, you choked up, I found;
Mom's endearing words or mere in-reverie sound?
You are too far, how could I reach out for you?
And when could we meeting again look forward to?
Do not cry, my dear mother, and continue to await.
All my grief I will hide in the rhymes I create.
Of all my sorrow I will write reams and reams,
And find your warmth my warmth in my dreams.
As I picked up the handset how astounded was I
To hear my mom's voice sadder than the rainy sky!
Should I be able to give up Man's time in hereafter,
I would offer mine to recover my mom's laughter.
Nhuan LeXuan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (My Life for My Mom's Laughter by Nhuan LeXuan )
- It Is Never the Same Place Twice, Michelle Claus
- His Love, Mark Heathcote
- Ghost Lovers, Barry Jablonski
- Giving Complete Peace, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Satisfied With Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Know It All, Elia Michael
- Haiku# Heart-1, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Haiku# Darkness-1, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Living In Every Moment, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Let it be just you, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)