Suman Kumar Das
Somebody knocks gently
At the door of my hushed heart.
‘Who is there? ’ I ask,
But get no reply in return.
When I open the door
Only view a light shadow
Receding slowly far from me.
I know not when comes
And when goes that shadow,
Still it feels very close to me.
Sometimes I refrain myself
From opening the door,
Lest that would disappear.
But I can’t stop my curiosity
Wish to discern the identity.
Finally I realize the truth;
That is none but my own shadow.
Suman Kumar Das's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (My Shadow by Suman Kumar Das )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Moonlit Night, Tu Fu
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- There Is A Time When One Forces Oneself .., Shalom Freedman
- Lament to the Full Moon, Geoffrey Fafard
- Roach Talk, Ima Ryma
- Haiku A Butterfly By Sophy Chen, Sophy Chen
- MERCY OUR COVALENCY REMAINS WITH BUOYANCY, ANTHONY KIRUI
- Haiku A Wizened Rose By Sophy Chen, Sophy Chen
- A Cleaner World, Luis Estable
- A Coronary Relapse, white dove
- When I Die, Luis Estable
- As if I'd Fallen in Its Waves by Sophy.., Sophy Chen