Never Sound Retreat
A hard fought battle you have won
This graduation day;
We fill with pride to know you still
Stand steadfast on the way.
We know you often lost your poise
And longed to sound retreat,
Until some inner strength took charge
And saved you from defeat.
Life's many battles yet to come
May test you to the core;
For every one you lose, there will
Be victories in store.
Stand firm for what you know is right,
Believe you can't be beat;
If doubts prevail then search for help,
But never sound retreat.
Just persevere and strive to step
In cadence with life's beat;
With fear and fight and faith, my son,
You'll never sound retreat-
You'll never sound retreat.
My eldest son struggled all through
high school and was now facing a stint
in the military, during the Vietnam War
Joseph Anderson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Never Sound Retreat by Joseph Anderson )
- My address, gajanan mishra
- With dogs and rats, Aftab Alam
- If I Were A Child, Randy McClave
- Who wilt Preach?, Sir Toby
- Uncle Ikey's Last Words No.43, Robert Graber
- A Balance Of Opinion, Richard Provencher
- Till you come, micheal john
- The Thing Betwixt The Ears, Buxton Shippy
- Going To Heaven, Tony Adah
- Your Party, Dog goD 8Hate