Never Sound Retreat
A hard fought battle you have won
This graduation day;
We fill with pride to know you still
Stand steadfast on the way.
We know you often lost your poise
And longed to sound retreat,
Until some inner strength took charge
And saved you from defeat.
Life's many battles yet to come
May test you to the core;
For every one you lose, there will
Be victories in store.
Stand firm for what you know is right,
Believe you can't be beat;
If doubts prevail then search for help,
But never sound retreat.
Just persevere and strive to step
In cadence with life's beat;
With fear and fight and faith, my son,
You'll never sound retreat-
You'll never sound retreat.
My eldest son struggled all through
high school and was now facing a stint
in the military, during the Vietnam War
Joseph Anderson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Never Sound Retreat by Joseph Anderson )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 February 1970-)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
(22 March 1941 -)
Poem of the Day
- वो मन की राणी, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar
- Universal Art, Marissa Wheeler
- अंजान अगन है तु, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar
- आना जाना ऐसा समा, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar
- The Dark of Night, Marissa Wheeler
- a tortured yellow smile, Mandolyn ...
- जाने तु और जानू मै, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar
- Kofi Awoonor, Richard Blay
- तु ही खयाल कर, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar
- गीतकार हूँ मै, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar