Babalola Augustine Adeola
Nigeria: Our Story At 52
The unseen hands at work.
To build... To destroy.
Changing and changing,
with no change.
The pregnancy of our dreams,
all to the doctor's hospital.
At 52 years of marriage,
no sign of a new life yet.
But thanks to the birth of divorce threat.
And for the unseen hands,
saving us from the cliff.
Still in search of reasons to be united,
but for the unseen hands.
The labour of our heros
dancing bàtá in the valley of vain.
Our streets flooded from the rains
of the innocent blood.
Not for our better,
but their pride and ego.
Taxis giving way for trucks and lorries.
Bomb taking banger
at chrismas and new year celebration.
With generators, rulling both our days and nights.
With chicken rearly appearing on our tables.
At 52, we can not even refine anything refinable.
But for our great achievements?
All ended on the conference table.
Despite all this,
i will continue to pray for you.
My dear country and home land.
God bless Nigeria!
Babalola Augustine Adeola's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Nigeria: Our Story At 52 by Babalola Augustine Adeola )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(September 16, 1925 – August 22, 2011)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Bright Star, John Keats
Poem of the Day
- Forgiveness, Eugene Latumbo
- Wrapping Paper, Bows, and You, Nika McGuin
- The imperfect world, Cyrus Shaftang
- Marriage, Marlin Nightingale
- Ruins الاطلال, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Your eyes, Leong Ming Loong
- Studentship., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Knowing the Truth, Nika McGuin
- I write, Nassy Fesharaki
- Assuredly بالتأكيد, MOHAMMAD SKATI